The application deadline for this position closed April 30, 2019. Applications are now under review.
Associate Priest – St. Philip Church
Anglican Diocese of British Columbia
We are a diverse, vibrant congregation of about 300 people. We are multi-generational with a common vision to grow in the awareness of God’s presence. We are respectful of different worshipping needs from traditional to contemporary and value our inclusivity. We respect and honour each individual’s freedom to search for God’s truth in their own way. We seek to be “a spacious and welcoming place” and joyfully engage in varying events of community fellowship and celebration. Our Diocese is on an exciting journey as we seek, through our Diocesan Vision, to become renewed people with renewed hearts and renewed spirits.
Located in the heart of the Oak Bay community, St. Philip is one of twenty four Anglican parishes in the city of Victoria and one of forty five Diocesan parishes in our Diocese of Islands and Inlets. Oak Bay is one of 12 municipal regions comprising the Capital Regional District of Greater Victoria. Our church has a rich history including our commissioned stained glass windows celebrating the unique and sacred land, sea, sky and the creative energy of God.
Parish Life is an energetic and dynamic combination of many volunteers leading Children’s and Youth Ministries, Community-based and International Missions, varied musical interpretations as well as Refugee Sponsorship. We are active, welcoming and open in our service to God’s word. For additional information about us, please go to: http//stphilipvictoria.ca/
We are seeking an Associate Priest who will be able to:
• bring a deep personal life of faith and spiritual practice, a faith in Christ and a strong desire to follow faithfully where the Spirit is leading the community.
• assume the full scope of responsibilities of the Rector as the current Rector plans for retirement
• have a desire to work cooperatively in a respectful ministry team environment
• share in all aspects of the life and ministry of the St. Philip parish
To these ends, the person in this position will:
• support parishioners in the development of their spiritual lives and nurture them on their journey in Christ
• lead common worship including regular preaching, presiding or assisting in celebrations of baptism, Eucharist and other sacraments, officiate at funerals, weddings and other special services
• lead or facilitate Bible studies, prayer groups, sacramental preparation for baptism, Eucharist, confirmation, reconciliation, marriage, etc.
• serve and support pastoral service including providing or facilitating for care to the sick, dying, bereaved, distressed or otherwise in need of special care
• provide leadership in the diverse councils of the church to support the effective functioning of Parish Council, committees or to participate in the broader Diocesan Synod and conferences.
Accountability and Remuneration
The Associate Priest will report to the Bishop of the Diocese of British Columbia and to the Rector of St. Philip Church.
Remuneration will be in alignment with the Diocesan guidelines based on the number of years in ordained ministry.